VA Education and Training Assistance

Our Veterans are the backbone of our country. VA provides veterans a unique opportunity to further train and continue the path of education. VA helps veterans like to you to cover the cost of furthering your education and skills through benefits to pay for tuition, housing, training, and other expenses related to your education. VA education and training benefits are provided through these key programs:

• Post-9/11 GI Bill®
• Yellow Ribbon Program to help pay tuition costs for private, out-of-state, or graduate school
• Montgomery GI Bill®
• Reserve Educational Assistance Program
• Survivors’ and Dependents’ Educational Assistance
More Grant Options

VA Requirements

• Copies of your discharge or separation papers (DD-214 or equivalent)
• Documentation of an enlistment incentive or College Fund, sometimes called a “kicker” (note: this is not required to apply for the GI Bill)
• To qualify for a monthly housing allowance, you must attend school more than half time (e.g., seven out of 12 credit hours per term) and not currently be on active duty in the service

VA Application Process

The application process is different for each Veteran seeking to use their education and training benefits. To follow the proper protocol, use this chart to determine the right benefit for you. After release from active duty, you have up to 15 years to use the Post-9/11 GI Bill; other programs have different time limits. Be sure to use the GI Bill Comparison Tool to research schools and employers based on affordability and value under the Post-9/11 GI Bill.
If you are eligible for the Post-9/11 GI Bill, the Montgomery GI Bill – Active Duty, or Reserve Educational Assistance Program, you must choose which benefit to receive. This decision is final and cannot be changed.
Once you identify the right VA benefit for your needs, it takes about 30 minutes to apply online.
More Grant Options

• If you think you may be interested in using your benefits, apply right away. VA education benefits can take a few weeks to process.
• Depending on where you live, your application is routed to one of four specialized Regional Processing Offices (RPOs) in Atlanta, GA; Buffalo, NY; Muskogee, OK; and St. Louis, MO.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *