HARP loans can offer home owners many benefits to home owners. The Home Affordable Refinance Program (HARP) was created in 2009 by the Federal Housing Finance Agency. The objective of HARP is to allow individuals with loan-to-value rations exceeding 80% to have the ability to refinance their home and eliminating mortgage insurance. Since 2009, the program has been streamlined and requires less documentation and has much simpler guidelines in an effort to approve more loans. If you’re a homeowner who is “underwater” and your house payments are causing you financial hardship, HARP my be able to assist!
Eligible home owners can realize several benefits through HARP. These benefits can include:
- No Mortgage Insurance
- Lower Closing Costs
- No Appraisal
- Better Mortgage Terms
- You are current on your mortgage.
- You have no payments that are over 30 days late within the past 30 days.
- You have no more than one late payment within the last 12-months.
- Your home is your primary residence, a 1-unit second home, or a 1 to 4-unit investment property.
- Your loan is owned by Freddie Mac or Fannie Mae. Check here: Fannie Mae|Freddie Mac
- You received your loan on or before May 31, 2009.
- Your current loan-to-value (LTV) ratio must be greater than 80%.
For more information regarding eligibility you can visit the HARP website at harp.gov.
While the requirements to utilize HARP might not apply to everyone, if you’re struggling month to month, HARP could help you avoid foreclosure. If you meet the program’s requirements, it’s definitely worth looking into!